little miracles

Saturday, January 9, 2010

As we grow up and life gets more complicated with all the new distractions, it becomes more difficult to keep our hearts on fire for God. And a lot of times we sit begging for a sign or something just to remind us that the big guy really is out there. So, I just wanted to share with you all something on my mind.

We've been having some frigid temperatures down here in the south for the first time in who knows how long. I was supposed to travel home this weekend to see my sister perform in the GPS/McCallie Winter One Acts, but was unable to go today and most likely still won't be able to travel tomorrow due to the icy roads. I was really frustrated with my parents' decision until around 1:00 today when I got a phone call from my mom and sister.

They called and told me that around 12 they had headed out to see a movie in one car, with my dad following behind them to run some errands. For those of you who haven't been to my house, it requires going up two hills, the first of which over the course of the past 24 hours had been covered with a clear sheet of ice, invisible from a distance. My mom and sister didn't see it and started to slide down the first hill entering my neighborhood, which leads straight out onto an already dangerous intersection onto Hixson Pike (right after the S curves). My mom made the risky, but intelligent move of turning onto a little "island" in the middle of the road, hoping to give her tires some firm ground and friction to work with. The car stopped just as the island was coming to an end, totally demolishing this small piece of landscape, but they were safe. They tried to call my dad and warn him about the ice, but he wasn't picking up his phone. So, in order to make sure he didn't hit it, they moved the car into the center of the road a few feet in front and started honking their horn repeatedly, so that he would have to either hit them or stop in time to not hit the ice. He saw them in time and they were able to go back and spend the rest of the day safe and warm in my house.

It could have been a really scary day for me, but God had my family in his hands. :) I couldn't be more thankful. So in case anyone was in need of a reminder of how amazing our God is.... He's wonderful. He's intangible yet so compassionate. I hope sharing my little miracle can remind y'all of the thousands of millions of "little miracles" that God brings every day. All you have to do is take a look.

I also want to share something I learned this summer at Camp Vesper Point. I always enter the summer ready and impatiently waiting for that crazy spiritual high, and this year it didn't come quite as quickly as usual. I remember being so frustrated and discontent until one night I had a realization. A dear friend of mine out of absolutely nowhere opened up to me about some serious, deep-rooted problems in her life, and she asked me for advice. God spoke through me and gave me the perfect insight and wisdom to comfort her, and I felt the most amazing feeling I'd experienced since arriving. It was then that I realized that I find God in so many ways, but it always leads back to what He said. Helping and loving others.

If you want to have joy, give it to someone else.

Always,
Rach

0 comments:

Post a Comment